Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Taken By Trees - Open Field

$19.99 (import list price), Pop, Rough Trade

Basic Story: After ending her 11 year stint as singer and songwriter for The Concretes, Victoria Bergsman takes her first stab as a solo artist.

Sample: “I took myself out walking/ by the evening I was running/ I hadn’t done this for a long while/ my friend said cheer up/ it was high time.”

Verdict: Records as pretty as this drive me crazy. Just when I want to criticize Bergsman for leaving such a great band or for making a solo album as sparse as it is simple, I hear her sweet child-like voice and forget all of it. You might recognize that voice from Peter Bjorn & John’s infectious hit “Young Folks,” whose members aided in the recording of this album. The first single, “Lost and Found,” is the obvious standout and despite its sad tone, it will still leave you feeling cheery.

No comments: